The Honorary Rangers were introduced to Rietvlei Nature Reserve in 2004 and
form part of the Friends of Rietvlei.The Honorary Rangers are a voluntary
group of men and women, registered and trained, with a passion for nature
and wildlife, assisting the Reserve’s management with the following activities:
- Night patrols in general, focusing on monthly full moon periods.
- Daily patrols to ensure the public adheres to the rules of the Reserve.
- Interact with the public in answering questions relating to the Reserve.
- Assist with specific tasks when called upon – repairing of fences, snare
patrols, game, and bird counting, etc.
- Assisting the SAPS and Metro with stop and search of vehicles, when